Construction/Building — January 11, 2013GTA REALTORS® Release Fourth Quarter Condo Market Report
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 11, 2013) - Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 3,830 condominium apartment sales through the TorontoMLS system during the fourth quarter of 2012. This number represented a decline of 23 per cent compared to 5,005 sales during the same time period in 2011.
The average selling price for condominium apartments in the fourth quarter was $332,410 - down by one per cent compared to the fourth quarter of 2011.
"The condominium apartment market was the best supplied market segment in 2012. Strong condo apartment completions in 2011 and the first few months of 2012 resulted in a substantial number of new listings on the TorontoMLS system last year. With more units for buyers to choose from, the annual rate of price growth moderated," said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah.
In the condominium apartment rental market, transactions rose by almost 13 per cent year-over- year in the fourth quarter, while the number of units listed for rent increased by over 17 per cent. Average rents were up on a year-over-year basis for one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments.
"While some first-time buyers put their decision to purchase on hold in the fourth quarter, many of these people chose to rent a condominium apartment instead. Similar to the ownership market, strong new condo completions prompted a considerable increase in the number of investor-held units offered for rent. However, there was still enough competition between renters to prompt upward pressure on average rents," said Jason Mercer, TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
Condominium Apartment Market Summary
Fourth Quarter 2012
|Sales||Average Price||Sales||Average Price|
|City of Toronto||2,772||$352,030||3,580||$360,884|
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service. Over 35,000 TREB Members serve consumers in the Greater Toronto Area. The Toronto Real Estate Board is Canada's largest real estate board.
Get the latest real estate news and Market Watch information including market watch summary video
Media Inquiries: Toronto Real Estate Board
Senior Manager Public Affairs
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces May Dividend (2013-05-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Call for action after MOL says workers are responsible for their own safety
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 443 projects with a total value of $1,866,277,015 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$353,800,000 North York ON Prebid
$90,000,000 Niagara Falls ON Prebid
$68,000,000 Oakville ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project