Construction/Building — January 11, 2013GTA REALTORS® Release Fourth Quarter Condo Market Report
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 11, 2013) - Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 3,830 condominium apartment sales through the TorontoMLS system during the fourth quarter of 2012. This number represented a decline of 23 per cent compared to 5,005 sales during the same time period in 2011.
The average selling price for condominium apartments in the fourth quarter was $332,410 - down by one per cent compared to the fourth quarter of 2011.
"The condominium apartment market was the best supplied market segment in 2012. Strong condo apartment completions in 2011 and the first few months of 2012 resulted in a substantial number of new listings on the TorontoMLS system last year. With more units for buyers to choose from, the annual rate of price growth moderated," said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah.
In the condominium apartment rental market, transactions rose by almost 13 per cent year-over- year in the fourth quarter, while the number of units listed for rent increased by over 17 per cent. Average rents were up on a year-over-year basis for one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments.
"While some first-time buyers put their decision to purchase on hold in the fourth quarter, many of these people chose to rent a condominium apartment instead. Similar to the ownership market, strong new condo completions prompted a considerable increase in the number of investor-held units offered for rent. However, there was still enough competition between renters to prompt upward pressure on average rents," said Jason Mercer, TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
Condominium Apartment Market Summary
Fourth Quarter 2012
|Sales||Average Price||Sales||Average Price|
|City of Toronto||2,772||$352,030||3,580||$360,884|
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service. Over 35,000 TREB Members serve consumers in the Greater Toronto Area. The Toronto Real Estate Board is Canada's largest real estate board.
Get the latest real estate news and Market Watch information including market watch summary video
Media Inquiries: Toronto Real Estate Board
Senior Manager Public Affairs
Latest Industry Press Releases
Retrocom REIT Announces 2013 Results (2014-03-06)
Superior Plus Announces March 2014 Cash Dividend (2014-03-06)
Media Advisory: St. John's Housing Outlook Seminar (2014-02-28)
Stantec Adopts New Bylaws (2014-02-28)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 433 projects with a total value of $3,210,413,882 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$210,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$110,000,000 Toronto ON Tenders
$51,500,000 Milton ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: LiUNA Local 183 Training Centre introduces new programs
- Storied Burka Architects downsizes and transitions
- Learning Centre Construction
- Collaboration with industry important to workplace safety improvement: Witmer
- Robot-powered construction revolution
- Engineers design permanent flood protection for Calgary
- Inquest called into fatal Vecchio incident
- Infrastructure Ontario issues RFQ for Ontario Place construction
- Cisco picks Toronto for location of new innovation hub
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Manitoba focuses on infrastructure spending in budget
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- PHOTO GALLERY: 2014 Wood Design Awards
- Wastewater treatment plant tops priority list
- Lone bidder prepares P3 proposal for Alberta schools
- Industry reacts as details emerge about job grant agreement
- Demand rising for Kitimat camps
- Open textbooks are key to skills training
- InPower BC awarded John Hart project contract
- Skills training investment in Manitoba
- Premier claims pact justifies need for $10 billion dam