Real Estate — January 9, 20132012 Housing Starts in Sudbury
SUDBURY, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 9, 2013) - Housing starts in the Greater Sudbury, Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) were trending at 722 units in December, according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). The trend is a six-month moving average of the monthly seasonally adjusted annual rates (SAAR)1 of housing starts. The standalone monthly SAAR was 577 units in December, down from 996 in November.
"December new construction in Sudbury was highlighted by 23 single-detached units, slightly down from the 10 year average for the month of December. Two semi-detached units rounded out the month and the year. Five hundred and thirty six units started construction in Sudbury in 2012, down ten per cent from 2011. Weaker-than-expected employment growth has been a key factor limiting new single-detached construction to 294 units," said Warren Philp, CMHC's Market Analyst for Sudbury.
CMHC uses the trend measure as a complement to the monthly SAAR of housing starts to account for considerable swings in monthly estimates and obtain a more complete picture of the state of the housing market. In some situations, analysing only SAAR data can be misleading in some markets, as they are largely driven by the multiples segment of the markets, which can be quite variable from one month to the next. The multiples segment includes apartments, rows and semi-detached homes.
Although construction of semi-detached, row and apartment units topped the 200 mark for the fourth consecutive year in Greater Sudbury ending the year at 242, they were down 12 per cent from 2011. The appeal in higher density housing is linked with a moderately low vacancy rate and the relatively high cost of buying a single-detached home.
Preliminary Housing Starts data is also available in English and French at the following link: Preliminary Housing Starts Tables.
As Canada's national housing agency, CMHC draws on more than 65 years of experience to help Canadians access a variety of quality, environmentally sustainable and affordable housing solutions. CMHC also provides reliable, impartial and up-to-date housing market reports, analysis and knowledge to support and assist consumers and the housing industry in making informed decisions.
Follow CMHC on Twitter @CMHC_ca.
1 All starts figures in this release, other than actual starts and the trend estimate, are seasonally adjusted annual rates (SAAR) - that is, monthly figures adjusted to remove normal seasonal variation and multiplied by 12 to reflect annual levels. By removing seasonal ups and downs, seasonal adjustment allows for a comparison from one season to the next and from one month to the next. Reporting monthly figures at annual rates indicates the annual level of starts that would be obtained if the monthly pace was maintained for 12 months. This facilitates comparison of the current pace of activity to annual forecasts as well as to historical annual levels.
Additional data is available upon request.
(Ce document existe également en français)
To view the tables and graph associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/fi845534.pdf.
Market Analysis Contact:
807-343-2016 or Cell: 807-627-1329
Consultant, Communications and Marketing
416-218-3355 or Cell: 416-988-4615
Latest Industry Press Releases
Empire Industries Announces Stock Option Grants (2013-12-10)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in New Brunswick (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in St. John's (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Halifax (2013-12-09)
Superior Plus Announces December 2013 Cash Dividend (2013-12-05)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$200,000,000 Halton Reg ON Prebid
$191,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$144,000,000 Etobicoke ON Prebid
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex