Government of Canada/Public Works — November 30, 2012Harper Government Invests in the Port Hope Project
PORT HOPE, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 30, 2012) - The Harper Government is pleased to announce the first major construction contract for the implementation phase of the Port Hope Project. The $22-million contract for the construction of a new waste water treatment plant at the site of the Port Hope long-term low-level radioactive waste management facility was awarded to Kenaidan Contracting Ltd. of Mississauga, Ontario.
"Our Government is committed to moving the Port Hope Project forward," said Rick Norlock, Member of Parliament for Northumberland-Quinte West, on behalf of the Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources. "The awarding of this contract is an important step forward in the cleanup and safe long-term management of historic low-level radioactive waste in Port Hope."
"By awarding this contract, the Harper Government is once again demonstrating our strong commitment to investing in communities. Construction of the waste water treatment plant will benefit the regional economy and provide job opportunities," said the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Canada's Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women.
The new treatment plant will provide a higher level of treatment than the existing plant and significantly improve water quality, resulting in enhanced protection of the Great Lakes Basin ecosystem, and allow for more sustainable future development and growth within the Port Hope area.
Work on the new waste water treatment plant site began in October and is expected to take about two years. The plant will treat contaminated water collected at the site of the proposed low-level radioactive waste management facility during construction and from within the facility once it is built. The contract also includes site clearing and upgrading of roads on the site.
The following media backgrounder is available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Port Hope Area Initiative
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Port Hope Area Initiative Management Office
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$70,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job