Government of Canada/Public Works — November 29, 2012Harper Government Takes Action to Enhance Accountability by Consolidating Canada Lands' Subsidiaries
GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - Nov. 29, 2012) - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today announced that the Harper Government is moving forward with the consolidation of Parc Downsview Park Incorporated (PDP) and Old Port of Montreal Corporation Incorporated (OPMC) with Canada Lands Company CLC Limited as one Crown corporation in order to improve efficiency and leverage Canada Lands' expertise in real property.
Opportunities were identified for improved management through clearer accountability and consolidated governance and reporting. This will streamline operations and reduce administrative overhead, thereby providing savings for Canadian taxpayers.
"We believe it is imperative that Canadians have confidence in how Crown corporations operate and use their hard-earned money," said Minister Ambrose. "Our Government has taken decisive action: Canada Lands will assume full responsibility for the management of its former subsidiaries, Parc Downsview Park and the Old Port of Montreal. Consolidating these Crown corporations will strengthen governance, increase efficiency and accountability and will provide them with a more stable financial footing."
The amalgamation of these corporations will:
- leverage the expertise of Canada Lands in land development and property management;
- clarify and simplify accountabilities; and
- streamline operations and reduce administrative overhead by giving Canada Lands responsibility for overseeing all of these activities and preparing one corporate plan and annual report.
An Old Port of Montreal division with a distinctive identity will be created under Canada Lands and operations will remain in Montreal.
Minister Ambrose will continue to be responsible for Canada Lands, which forms part of her portfolio. The Minister has asked the Canada Lands Board of Directors to develop an implementation plan for her review.
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/PWGSC_TPSGC.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Latest Industry Press Releases
October 2013 Rental Market in Charlottetown (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in St. John's (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Moncton (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in New Brunswick (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Nova Scotia (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Halifax (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Saint John (2013-12-12)
Empire Industries Announces Stock Option Grants (2013-12-10)
November 2013 Housing Starts in New Brunswick (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Halifax (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in St. John's (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-09)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Toronto housing not cooling off, says BMO
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 366 projects with a total value of $3,913,656,488 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$75,140,000 Waterloo ON Tenders
$62,710,000 Mississauga ON Negotiated
$50,000,000 Oshawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- New tech drives construction over last 25 years: panel
- Duffin Pumping Station Moves Up
- Relationships are integral to break into the Chinese market for construction
- Construction efficiency a growing concern
- RES Canada to build SunEdison solar facilities
- Lafarge launches new corporate website
- USGBC releases LEED in Motion report
- Ritchie Bros. $43 million agriculture equipment auction its best-ever
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex