Government of Canada/Public Works — November 5, 2012Minister of State Bernier Highlights Tourism Accomplishments at UQAM's Gueuletons Touristiques Lecture Series
MONTRÉAL, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - Nov. 5, 2012) - Today, the Honourable Maxime Bernier, Minister of State (Small Business and Tourism), highlighted the progress made in the implementation of Canada's Federal Tourism Strategy (FTS), a whole-of-government initiative to help position Canada's tourism sector for long-term growth and competitiveness.
"Our government's top priorities are jobs, growth and long-term prosperity," said Minister of State Bernier during his remarks at Gueuletons touristiques, a noontime lecture series organized by the Transat Chair in Tourism at the Université du Québec à Montréal's (UQAM) École des sciences de la gestion [school of management]. "Through the Federal Tourism Strategy, our government is working with industry to position the tourism sector to seize international growth opportunities and create jobs in Canada."
The Minister of State noted that since the launch of the FTS in October 2011, the Canadian Tourism Commission has established the Signature Experiences Collection, which now includes 163 extraordinary Canadian tourism experiences across the country. In the first six months of 2012, access to Canada improved with a record-breaking half-million visas issued to international travellers. Canada is on track to issue 1 million travel visas by year's end. By increasing the number of Visa Application Centres in operation worldwide from 60 to 150 by 2014, Canada is looking to build on this momentum.
"Our government is positioning Canadian tourism to become more innovative, attractive and competitive on the world stage," said Minister of State Bernier. "I welcome opportunities, such as today's event, that foster an open discussion with industry and academia about ways to strengthen Canada's tourism industry."
Recognizing the importance of tourism to the Canadian economy, the Harper Government assists the tourism sector in many ways, including operating national parks, marketing Canada to the world and investing in both festival programming and infrastructure.
Visit the Supporting Tourism website for more information on the FTS and other tourism initiatives.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Maxime Bernier
Minister of State (Small Business and Tourism)
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces May Dividend (2013-05-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 470 projects with a total value of $6,376,918,947 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$104,727,250 Toronto ON Tenders
$50,000,000 Markham ON Tenders
$25,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Future tradespeople put to the test
- Ontario raiding season closes with a thud
- Bird flags challenges in Canadian construction
- Ontario commits to Hwy. 427 expansion
- GO Transit to build new maintenance facility in East Gwillimbury
- Ancient First Nations site damaged during work by BC Hydro
- Federal NDP leader speaks to police 'to help' with Quebec corruption probe
- Construction Site Arson
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 27th, 2013
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project