Construction/Building — November 3, 2012GTA REALTORS® Release Monthly Resale Housing Figures
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 3, 2012) - Greater Toronto Area REALTORS® reported 6,896 transactions through the TorontoMLS system in October 2012 - a decrease of 7.1 per cent compared to October 2011. There were two more business days in October 2012 versus October 2011. On a per business day basis, transactions were down by 15.6 per cent.*
"Sales have decreased in the second half of this year compared to 2011, especially since the onset of stricter mortgage lending guidelines at the beginning of July. The prospect of higher monthly mortgage payments due to the reduced maximum amortization period has prompted some households to delay their home purchase," said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah.
The average selling price for October transactions was $503,479 - up 6.2 per cent compared to October 2011. The MLS® Home Price Index composite benchmark price, which allows for an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of home attributes, was up by 5.1 per cent.
"We continue to see price increases well above the rate of inflation. Active listings have remained low from a historic perspective, so substantial competition between buyers still exists, especially for low-rise homes," said Jason Mercer, TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
"It should be noted, however, that the annual rate of price increase has been edging lower over the past few months as the market has gradually become better supplied," continued Mercer.
*NOTE: The majority of transactions are entered into the TorontoMLS system on business days. There was a mismatch of two business days in September and October of 2012 compared to the same months last year. This is why sales on a per business day basis were noted in releases dealing with these months. The business day anomaly between the two months has now balanced out.
|Summary of TorontoMLS Sales and Average Price - October 1 - 31|
|Sales||Average Price||New Listings||Sales||Average Price||New Listings|
|City of Toronto ("416")||2,730||$||539,188||5,568||3,044||$||518,248||5,166|
|Rest of GTA ("905")||4,166||$||480,078||7,486||4,381||$||443,664||7,140|
|TorontoMLS Sales & Average Price By Home Type - October 1 - 31, 2012|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-7||%||-1||%||-3||%||5||%||8||%||7||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-4||%||-9||%||-7||%||7||%||5||%||6||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-10||%||-1||%||-3||%||2||%||5||%||3||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-14||%||-20||%||-16||%||-2||%||4||%||0||%|
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service. Over 35,000 TREB Members serve consumers in the Greater Toronto Area. The Toronto Real Estate Board is Canada's largest real estate board.
Get the latest real estate news and Market Watch information including market watch summary video.
Senior Manager Public Affairs
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces May Dividend (2013-05-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 470 projects with a total value of $6,376,918,947 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$104,727,250 Toronto ON Tenders
$50,000,000 Markham ON Tenders
$25,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Future tradespeople put to the test
- Ontario raiding season closes with a thud
- Bird flags challenges in Canadian construction
- Ontario commits to Hwy. 427 expansion
- GO Transit to build new maintenance facility in East Gwillimbury
- Ancient First Nations site damaged during work by BC Hydro
- Federal NDP leader speaks to police 'to help' with Quebec corruption probe
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project