Government of Canada/Public Works — February 17, 2012Government of Canada Awards Design Contract for Chaudiere Crossing
GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - Feb. 17, 2012) - Today, the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, announced the awarding of a $750,036 contract covering engineering services for the Chaudière Crossing project in the National Capital Region to the firm McCormick Rankin Corporation, of Ottawa.
"The Chaudière Crossing is an important component of the National Capital Region's infrastructure as it provides a vital link between Ottawa and Gatineau," said Minister Ambrose. "Our Government is committed to ensuring that public infrastructure remains safe and reliable."
"This demonstrates our Government's continued focus on economic growth and job creation. Investments in public infrastructure not only create and maintain jobs locally, but ensure that Canadians can count on safe and reliable infrastructure," said the Honourable John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Member of Parliament for Ottawa West-Nepean.
The Chaudière Crossing carries approximately 28,000 vehicles per day. It was the first bridge to connect Ottawa and Gatineau over the Ottawa River and consists of eight separate structures, built at various times between 1827 and 1978. A variety of structures connect natural as well as man-made islands and causeways, linked together by a road.
This contract award follows the recent Government of Canada announcements of new investments of approximately $250 million, over the next five years, in Public Works and Government Services Canada's (PWGSC) infrastructure projects across the country for a total of $320 million in funding for these assets, as part of Canada's Economic Action Plan. PWGSC is responsible for 20 engineering assets across the country, including the Chaudière Crossing, and is carrying out a five-year major capital work plan to ensure that they remain safe.
The contract was awarded under a standing offer for competitive structural engineering services. PWGSC will now solicit bids for the construction work, which is expected to begin in fall 2012 and be completed in fall 2013. As part of this plan, PWGSC is proceeding with the replacement of the deck, sidewalk and barriers, as well as seismic upgrades and a protective repainting of the existing structural steel elements.
For further information on the recent announcement on public infrastructure investments, please see http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=1&nid=651269&crtr.tp1D=1.
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Latest Industry Press Releases
October 2013 Rental Market in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Halifax (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Moncton (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Saint John (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in St. John's (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in New Brunswick (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Charlottetown (2013-12-12)
October 2013 Rental Market in Nova Scotia (2013-12-12)
Empire Industries Announces Stock Option Grants (2013-12-10)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Halifax (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in New Brunswick (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in St. John's (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-09)
Superior Plus Announces December 2013 Cash Dividend (2013-12-05)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Toronto housing not cooling off, says BMO
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 387 projects with a total value of $7,314,102,807 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$150,000,000 Whitby ON Tenders
$100,000,000 Brampton ON Prebid
$66,000,000 Peterborough ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- New tech drives construction over last 25 years: panel
- Duffin Pumping Station Moves Up
- Relationships are integral to break into the Chinese market for construction
- Construction efficiency a growing concern
- RES Canada to build SunEdison solar facilities
- Lafarge launches new corporate website
- USGBC releases LEED in Motion report
- Ritchie Bros. $43 million agriculture equipment auction its best-ever
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex