Visit Skills Training at Journal of Commerce
Professional Development/Skills Training
May 21, 2013
A multi-employer approach to apprenticeship training results in higher apprenticeship completion rates, according to a new study commissioned by the Ontario Construction Secretariat (OCS).
May 17, 2013
Provinces that want to encourage more workers to enter into the trades should allow companies to hire more apprentices as strict regulations act as barriers to entry, concludes a new report by the C.D. Howe Institute.
May 16, 2013
A new regional approach to apprenticeship will create greater mobility and a stronger labour force in Atlantic Canada.
May 15, 2013
Pass by the site of a 1,200-square-foot house being built this summer in Goderich, Ont. by Habitat for Humanity and you might notice something different: the volunteer corps constructing the house is made up of women.
May 2, 2013
Core to Ontario’s 2013 budget is a $295 million Youth Jobs Strategy designed to drive employment among 15 to 24 year olds in the province.
May 1, 2013
The federal government has launched consultations on the Canada Job Grant, an initiative announced in the recent budget that is meant to transform the way Canadians receive skills training.
April 3, 2013
Every year dozens of workers die and many others are seriously injured in Ontario from falls — often from the tops of roofs under construction.
April 1, 2013
The construction industry welcomed news of a 10-year infrastructure commitment and a new initiative to increase skilled labour training announced in the 2013 federal budget.
March 26, 2013
Canada’s new Canada Job Grant unveiled in this year’s federal budget has one clear focus &emdash; connecting skills training with employers and jobs for Canadians, says federal finance minister Jim Flaherty.
February 28, 2013
A cadre of construction companies has formed a “coalition” to oppose the newly created Ontario College of Trades, claiming it adds nothing of value and its main purpose is to benefit the unions. These are baseless charges, and ignore the imperative to expand our skilled-trades base if we are to remain competitive.
June 26, 2009
Not many pre-apprenticeship courses can claim as high a retention rate as the CHOICE Pre-apprenticeship Program for Youths at Risk can. In its fifth year, the unique Toronto-based program offers its students a chance to learn carpentry skills on the job at social housing properties operated by Toronto Community Housing Corporation.
June 26, 2009
Conestoga’s College is busy adding to its Construction Centre of Excellence campus in Waterloo with a roofing training centre set to open its doors this September and an HVAC training facility to follow a year later.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 541 projects with a total value of $2,992,674,310 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$290,000,000 North York ON Prebid
$105,000,000 Metro Toronto Reg ON Prebid
$75,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
- Ex-Canadian military bases can be transformed
- Shop and Sleep
- Martin remembered for infectious laugh and mentorship
- Staffing levels and safety drive Ontario elevator worker strike
- Proposed wood-frame use meets opposition
- Provincial MPP supporters of prompt payment legislation excited at prospects
- Concrete airplane in South Dakota takes flight
- Opposition tackle Harper government on lack of youth employment
- Construction Site Arson
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 27th, 2013
- Commercial Construction
- Ruling vindicates company that hired Chinese workers
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Investigation continues in deliberate Vancouver duplex fire
- Ancient First Nations site damaged during BC Hydro work
- On Target
- Global engineering guidelines taking shape
- Fit to Work program being developed
- Dire prediction
- Canada and Ireland sign recognition agreement
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)