December 5, 2012
CEO pushes for reliable infrastructure funding
For the last two years, Consulting Engineers of Ontario (CEO) has been pushing for long-term infrastructure planning and reliable funding at the provincial level.
The association, which represents 215 engineering firms across the province, now has lent its support for action at the federal level, attending a recent media event in Toronto hosted by the Municipal Infrastructure Forum.
The forum, a coalition that includes the Canadian Construction Association (CCA), came together to ask that the federal government include its pending long-term infrastructure plan in the next budget.
For its part, CEO is committed to a more reliable and sustainable long-term infrastructure program in Canada, a point emphasized in its submission for Ontario’s Building Together plan and at the Toronto regional workshop on infrastructure investment last July with Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities Denis Lebel.
“CEO does not believe in long-term investment in isolation,” said Barry Steinberg, CEO of Consulting Engineers of Ontario. “We believe in investment that results from long-term planning. This distinction is not subtle.”
In a statement issued following the event, Steinberg said a strategic infrastructure plan and budget is required that includes municipal asset management programs as a means by which to measure success.
“Financing decisions must also be made using well developed decision-making criteria, which are used to select the project delivery models that emphasize public safety and life-cycle costing of our assets,” he said.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin