November 20, 2012
Ontario municipalities invited to apply for infrastructure funding
As part of its Municipal Infrastructure Strategy, the Ontario government is now accepting applications for road, bridge, water and wastewater projects.
The province is making $51 million available, beginning in 2013-14 to help address projects identified as top priorities through comprehensive asset management plans. Funding will be targeted to municipalities and local services boards that would be unable to undertake these top priority projects without provincial support.
"Through the Municipal Infrastructure Strategy, small and Northern Ontario municipalities are enhancing their asset management capabilities, something that is a critical component of managing a modern class of infrastructure,” said Alan Korell, president of the Ontario Good Roads Association in a press release.
Ontario is also providing up to $9 million to small and northern municipalities to help prepare their asset management plans, which help municipalities make smart, long-term planning decisions about building, operating, maintaining, renewing and replacing infrastructure.
The Ministry of Infrastructure is also providing a Guide for Municipal Asset Management Plans and an online asset management toolkit. Both the guide and the toolkit are intended to help municipalities understand what asset management planning is and how important it is.
Ontario municipalities are responsible for over 15,000 bridges and large culverts and more than 140,000 kilometres of roads. More than 10 million Ontarians depend on municipal water and/or wastewater services.
Municipalities can apply online. The application deadline is Jan. 9, 2013.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Lafarge’s research tackles cement’s “bad boy” image
- Waterloo Region LRT work agreement almost done
- RFP released to shortlisted teams for Milton hospital expansion
- Upset waters over new Ontario diving regulations
- The Working Dead — construction of a post-apocalyptic zombie world
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 371 projects with a total value of $1,936,826,394 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$134,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$128,250,000 North York ON Prebid
$100,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- Debate swirls over OCOT’s merit on its anniversary
- WaterGarden Worker
- Ontario to invest in cycling infrastructure
- U.S. construction labour concerns
- Compulsory certification in carpentry a “job killer”, says Kenney
- CaGBC to provide free LEED registration and certification for commercial projects in disaster-hit cities
- Economic cost of weather catastrophes is under appreciated: report
- Scotiabank sees slow growth in housing
- Photo Gallery: 2014 ACEC BC Awards of Excellence winners
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Making Metro
- Crumbling roads a key election issue
- Early stages of concrete pump operator certification being developed in B.C.
- Legal battle over temporary foreign workers heats up
- Dive tower pushes formwork forward
- Understanding municipal strategy
- Calgary firm fined $35,000 for workplace injury
- B.C. labour minister calls for WorkSafeBC reforms
- B.C. prison proceeding