LATEST NEWS Skills Training
November 15, 2012
Global apprenticeship insights in CAF journal
“Vocational Education in the Age of a Global Workforce” features authors from countries such as Bangladesh, Chile, Lebanon, Sri Lanka and Tanzania who share their visions for vocational training.
The issue highlights common challenges, such as negative perceptions of careers in the skilled trades, and showcases the emerging strategic importance of vocational education and training. Contributors have expressed interest in exploring opportunities for collaboration and knowledge-exchange, with a view to developing effective solutions to common problems.
“The insights that I gained particularly looking at countries like Lebanon or Bangledesh or Chile is that they face a lot of the same challenges (as us). The way that their systems have developed have a lot to do with the cultural expectations and the geographic needs and the industrial needs in those countries,” said Sarah Watts-Rynard, CAF executive director.
She said other counties are looking at Canada in much of the same way Canada is looking internationally for ways approach apprenticeship training.
The journal is considered to be a platform to share research and feature articles, and encourage discussion among apprenticeship stakeholders.
Contributors include researchers, educators and decision-makers, as well as jurisdictional apprenticeship authorities.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- PCL Constructors works on Humber River Regional Hospital in Toronto
- Tower Hill unveils 56-storey condo tower project
- Hundreds of workers to be out of work as Caterpillar Inc. is set to close Toronto factory
- London association withdraws from COCA
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- Provinces need to loosen up apprenticeship rules
- Way Up on Westwood
- Building Up On Bayview
- Barrie Construction Association rolls with motorcycle ride for cancer
- Vimy Ridge memorial gets new visitor centre
- Minnesota Vikings unveil new multi-use stadium plan
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Construction Site Arson
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 20th, 2013
- Industry reacts to surprise B.C. Liberal majority
- Calgary Airport Tunnel
- Worker at centre of union sign up allegations speaks out
- Calgary program aims to get more people into the trades
- Midrise in the City
- Veterans battle barriers into the trades
- Government makes changes to online tendering
- SNC-Lavalin maintains that new bribery allegations have been resolved
- B.C. faces a tough battle for top talent
- Keyano College building state of the art training facility
- Essential skills can play a vital role in an apprentices' success
- Taking a closer look at the risks in green building for contractors
- Colleges conduct construction research in addition to teaching
- Skills Canada BC Competition
- Lower Mainland high school trades program is unique
- Construction Learning Forum aims to educate
- High schools looking for more industry participation
- Industrial construction supervisor program takes off
- Saskatchewan bill passed
- Edmonton garners support for regional cash for arena
- Feds pledge $5 million for Vimy memorial
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)