July 10, 2012
International Union of Operating Engineers official Mike Gallagher gets Diamond Jubilee Medal
Mike Gallagher, business manager of Local 793 of the International Union of Operating Engineers , has been awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal .
The award recognizes Gallagher’s contributions to Canada. Oakville, Ont. MPP Kevin Flynn presented the medal and described Gallagher as a leader in the construction industry and involved in numerous charity projects.
The presentation was made June 29 at a luncheon following the Gary O’Neill Memorial Golf Tournament held at Rattlesnake Point Golf Club in Milton, Ontario.
Gallagher said it was an honour to receive the award and dedicated the medal to late Local 793 president O’Neill, who was also his friend.
“I haven’t done any of this on my own,” he told the audience. “It was done with the co-operation of a great many people, and with the support of the members of Local 793.”
Local 793, based out of Oakville, Ont. represents thousands of crane and heavy equipment operators.
Gallagher noted that two major projects of the union — raising money to send a bulldozer to an orphanage in Kenya and raising funds to help the Red Cross support victims of an earthquake in Haiti — was done with support from the industry and O’Neill.
Gallagher was also a recipient of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002.
Commemorative medals are being presented throughout the year to individuals who have made significant contributions to their communities and mark the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne. During the year of celebrations, 60,000 Canadians will be recognized with the medal.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Toronto housing not cooling off, says BMO
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 366 projects with a total value of $3,913,656,488 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$75,140,000 Waterloo ON Tenders
$62,710,000 Mississauga ON Negotiated
$50,000,000 Oshawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- New tech drives construction over last 25 years: panel
- Duffin Pumping Station Moves Up
- Relationships are integral to break into the Chinese market for construction
- Construction efficiency a growing concern
- RES Canada to build SunEdison solar facilities
- Lafarge launches new corporate website
- USGBC releases LEED in Motion report
- Ritchie Bros. $43 million agriculture equipment auction its best-ever
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex